- Rimmed baking sheet
- Stand mixer with a paddle attachment
- Medium bowl
- 1.5 oz. spring-loaded scoop
- 3 baking sheets
- Parchment paper
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature, softened
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (165 grams) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 2 tsp. (8 grams) pure vanilla extract
- 2 ¾ cups (344 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. (5 grams) baking powder
- 1 tsp. (3 grams) kosher salt
- ¾ tsp. (3.75 grams) baking soda
- 2 cups (340 grams) roughly chopped dark chocolate (66%), into chunks
- About ½ cup of additional chunks of dark chocolate (about 34, one for each cookie), separate. (OR large chocolate baking chips)
- Garnish: Maldon salt crystals (flaked sea salt)
- Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and both sugars at medium speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, kosher salt, and baking soda.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add one tablespoon of the flour mixture after the first egg.
- With mixer on low speed, gradually add the rest of the flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chunks by hand. Avoid over mixing.
- Using a 1.5-ounce spring-loaded scoop, scoop dough (about 30 grams each), and place all of them on the prepared pan. Before chilling, add one additional chunk on the top of each cookie, nestling it into the dough but not covering it. Cover with plastic cling wrap (airtight) and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place chilled dough at least 2 inches apart on prepared pans.
- Bake until golden, about 8 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Garnish lightly with sea salt while still warm on the racks.
© 2023 Copyright Bohm Bakes