Blueberry Twisted Star Bread
1 hour, 30 minutes
1 hour, 5 minutes
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup blueberry jam
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Dissolve yeast in warm water until foamy.
- In another bowl, combine milk, egg, butter, sugar, and salt; add yeast mixture and 3 cups flour.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. (or in a stand mixer for 5 minutes)
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 4 portions.
- Roll 1 portion into a 12-in. circle.
- Place on a greased 14-in. pizza pan.
- Spread with one-third of the jam to within 1/2 in. of edge.
- Repeat twice, layering dough and jam, and ending with the final portion of dough.
- Place a 2-1/2-in. round cutter on top of the dough in the center of the circle (do not press down).
- With a sharp knife, make 16 evenly spaced cuts from round cutter to edge of the dough, forming a starburst.
- Remove cutter; grasp 2 adjacent strips and rotate twice outward.
- Pinch ends together.
- Repeat with remaining strips.
- Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake until golden brown, 18-22 minutes. (Watch during the final 5 minutes for any dripping.)
- Remove from oven; brush with melted butter, avoiding areas where the jam is visible.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar.